Re: Re: Carls, half carls and Gardeners

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:29:23 -0000

Greetings and Salutations
2002-03-13-2330.

"bethexton" Bryan wrote:

> > If we take that sixteen carls and their families live and work a
> stead, a
> > stead will have sixteen hides as its cultivated lands. With forty
> acres per
> > hide that is 640 acres per stead.
> > One acre equals 4046.9m2 so a steads holding will be 2590016 square
> metres
> > or [1 square mile].
>
> I rather like the concept of the size of a hide varying depending on
> where you are. For what it is worth, my webster's dictionary lists
> the hide as (roughly) "any of various english units of area,
> especially 120 acres"

[Snip]

> Now, I know that this concept makes it that much harder for those
> trying to figure out how big a tula is, but I still like it!

Despite my crap maths, I think this idea may work well. If anyone asks how big the Stead's land is it will equal the number of Hides (or mansi or carucate or whatever) per carl residing there. The hide is measured by what it produces, it has to feed the carl and his family for the turn of the seasons.
With the Lunars getting hold of this 'administrative term' and re-organising the parcelling out of each hide this will certainly get tempers a little hotter.
I am not sure if one of the five from the Five-hide is equipped or additional sixth carl. However with sixteen carls per stead I would say five carls support the housecarl or thane while he is away fighting for the tribal king or clan chief. Or in otherwords five carls would support each player character Hero and five more for each follower on the road. Without the five-hides providing support for the Heroes they would struggle to stay 'fighting fit'. Not only are these carls dependant on the Heroes but the Heroes are dependant on the carls. This two-edged relationship would help reinforce the Heroes' ties to their community.

Cheers Darran.

... Aeolia, where the storm-clouds have their home, a place teeming with furious winds from the south. Here Aeolus is king, and in a vast cavern he controls the brawling winds and the roaring storms, keeping them curbed and fettered in their prison. Resentfully they rage from door to door in the mountainside, protesting loudly, while Aeolus sits in his high citadel, sceptre in hand, taming their arrogance and controlling their fury.

                        Virgil.  The Aeneid.