Re: Origins Nominations

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 03:00:37 -0500

Hero Wars Digest wrote:
Mark Mohrfield wrote:

>I just saw the Origins Awards nominations
>for 2001... and noticed that there were no
>Issaries Inc. products on it.

The reason for this is that Issaries itself, or the author of a given product, must offer it for consideration. This does not automatically occur. Once the deadline for submitting items for consideration is past, the process of culling this down to a handful of nominees in each category occurs. Unlike members of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences, alas, who must see all the films under consideration, members of the Academy of Adventure Game Design are no longer actually required to read the products up for nomination. Thus, the process is more about industry glad-handing than actually extolling the merits of breakthrough design, and the awards themselves are more a matter of popular acclaim than actual excellence.

The Origins Awards are the Golden Globes of game design, these days, not the Academy Awards. They once were quite different, however, and many industry people in the know are attempting to change this or create a set of awards that return to the original ideals of the Origins Awards. Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson Games, for example, is among the outspoken proponents of a return to those ideals. I do not know where the British Steve Jackson, creator of those wonderful "Fighting Fantasy" books, stands on this, but I do recall seeing that he has a new "Advanced Fighting Fantasy" project in the works.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and