Re: Hidesl

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:36:47 -0800

My understanding of a hide is that it's equal to the amount of land that a single ox tem can plow in the available average time and land quality. That is, 40 acres in spring, 40 in fall and 40 fallow.

At 12:12 PM 3/23/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Most definitions I have seen (I do not have access to the OED) set a
>hide's area at roughly 120 acres. An acre is roughly 43,560 square feet,
>4840 square yards, or 4047 square meters. A clan tula consisting of 200
>hides would thus cover 24,000 acres => 1,045,440,000 square feet =>
>116,160,000 square yards => 97,128,000 square meters. Translating into
>more useful units, our 200-hide tula would cover an area of 37.5 square
>miles or 97.1 square kilometers, making it a little larger than John's
>example.
>

>--
>Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
>mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and
>Ann Arbor, Michigan USA | swingsets. -- yours truly

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>