Re: Fog of War

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:22:26 -0000

Dougie wrote:
> I was under the impression that guilt (except in the cas of secret
crimes) was not really an issue to Heortlings. It is not a case, if Hengst kills Kofti over the price of some eggs of whether Hengist is guilty or not, it is a case of finding a settlement that'll stop their respective clans butchering each other.<

Interesting came up in our game recently, in a trial. The Orlanthi law codes look to analog barbarian cultures such as the Saxons, Celts, and Vikings which did not depend on moral notions of inidividual guilt and innocenece, but were practical attempts to keep the peace (even to the extent of favoring might over right). AFAIK the importance of guilt and innocence come (in Europe) from Roman law.

However, the Heortlings do have the example of Orlanth who took responsibility for his actions after the death of the Emperor and sought to fix his mistakes, and a sense of honor so IMO Heortlings do have the notion of guilt, even if it is not the deciding factor in a law.