RE: Re: Fog of War

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:39:19 +0800

> >If the enemy was the Lunar army it might be justified (or not YGMV). Or if
>>dealing with raiding Broo or other chaotic nasties the murder rage Iphara
>>imparts may be useful?
>You can not secretly murder anyone who is outside of your own culture. They
>are foreigners, not subject to the same rules and laws used to deal with
>your own people. So, using Iphara against them is OK.

        I think this is a bit of a gray area. Its quite true as Greg states it, but in practice there can be debate about who is 'outside of your own culture'. Broos, absolutely. Someone you are at war with, almost certainly (though some might balk at such tactics anyway - geased Humakti, for example). Someone like a Lunar missionary can be debatable.

        Most importantly - if someone has officially recognised them under the laws of hospitality etc, then they are within your cultures laws, even if they might not understand why. So Lunar symps in a clan can make a big difference to the legalities of such things.

> >Would the consequences be greater especially on a cattle raid? As instead
>>of the herders being driven off the raiders would find it difficult NOT to
>>slay them. So instead of stealing some prize bulls, a very minor crime and
>>slight against the clan, the raiders have committed an atrocity, butching
>>the herders and defenders. An infamous act that may bring down the wrath of
>>not only the attacked clan but other neighbouring clans?
>Note that if you use Iphara there is automatically some concealment going
>on, not of the deed, but of who did it.
>When you get to speculating about such unusual things as raiding in the
>Iphara fog (why would anyone want to conceal a raid, after all? Where is
>the fame in that?) then you are on your own. It's not the kind of thing I
>can answer. It is an unusual circumstance, and precisely the type of
>unusual activity that a RPG game might use, have to decide for
>themselves,and thereby set a precedent.

        Of course, cattle raids where unusual magic is used that escalate into major disputes are a perfect source for Orlanthi stories. But as Greg says, its precisely because these situations are so unusual and unpredictable that they make good stories. The story of Cuchulainn of course contains the classic example of a legendary cattle raid that escalates.

> >Also would the foes of the Orlanthi use Iphara's fog against them? The
>>Lunar army would use any resourse and Iphara's effects would counter some of
>>the Storm magic the Orlanthi would bring to any battle. The Orlanthi would
>>have to use their magic to rid the battle ground of Iphara's fog, wasting
>>some of it before the battle itself took place.
>Sure they would try to use Iphara against the Orlanthi, and vice versa. No
>crime in killing Lunars! Use whatever works!

        Well, it can be a crime in some Lunar influenced tribes, I think. But true rebels know that is just villainous people distorting the law.

        Both sides would be willing to use Ipharas fog as a weapon, but not all the Lunar magicians would have the knowledge of how to use such a non-native power. Some would, though.

        I used as villains in my RQ Prax campaign the School of Red Masks, Lunar trained shamans. They made good villains because they spent a lot of their time investigating native Praxian magics, and thus were able to use things like Gagarthi, native Praxian spirits, and the secrets of the Puzzle Canal. Which meant they were both effective villains, and interestingly vulnerable to the resources of the players and their allies. I think making the degree of knowledge both sides have of the magics of the others an issue really helps make magic/heroquest contests interesting to play.

	Cheers
		David