Re: Heortling inheritance, Heortling freemen, Alakoring vs Heortling

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:31:18 -0000

Me
> >Not true for Tarsh which elects by bloodline (or maybe even for the
> >Kingdom of Sartar) and I don't think it was true for the
> >Vingkotlings.

Peter Metcalfe
> That's the tribal kingship. I'm talking about the election
> of the _clan chief_, which is elective in all Orlanthi
> communities.

OK, sorry I was looking at the tribal level. Not sure whether this should not reflect down to the clan level (does not GIttHW state that for the Hendrieki it is now appointed Sherrifs), but I'll let this lie.

> It's been that way since Player's Book: Genertela in which
> Kings can come from certain bloodlines but in which anybody
> can become a chief or tribal king.

Looks like I'll have to go back and look these up.

> But rather than go through tedious exegesis of what people actually
>mused on digests past (And this really isn't the forum for it)

You're right; seeing as the digest seems to be back up I'll move any more esoteric questions on this topic there.

> you find a single passage that said Alakoring tried to
> overthrow the Priests? KoS takes the opposite view in that
> it implies the Priests who were the core of the conservative
> opposition.

I suspect this is my reading of the Rex powers to control the priesthood.

> This suggestion is wrong. Alakoring as stated in the
> Glorantha Intro is properly applied to the Tarshites,
> the Aggari and the Lanksti (among others). To dispel
> appearances that I'm quoting my own words, it was Greg
> who labelled them Alakoring.

OK. I suspect that my source of confusion on this one was how I interpreted Greg's answer to the question on different Orlanthi cultures:

http://www.glorantha.com/greg/q-and-a/barbarians.html

"Modern Orlanthi generally consider themselves to be Heortlings. However, they are also called Alakorings, which is less used but perhaps more correct. Alakoring was a leader in the tenth century whose social reforms significantly altered the peoples and tribes who followed him. (He instituted the worship of Orlanth Rex, with powers to control the priesthood.) He opposed the traditional Heortlings whose leadership followed draconic ways. However, the tribes east of the Rockwoods retained their ancient title of Heortlings after the dragons left, while those of Ralios preferred to keep calling themselves Alakorings."

I'll reread the sources in light of your comments and see if I become illuminated :-)

> There's only two types of Orlanthi in Maniria. The Heortlings
> are adequately described while one should draw inspiration
> for the Wenelians from Tacitus's Germania.

Thanks this is useful, and more the sort of information I was searching for, before I strayed into somewhat more esoteric areas.