Re: Re: Heortling inheritance, Heortling freemen, Alakoring vs Heortling

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:52:53 +1200

At 08:31 15/08/00 +0000, Ian Cooper wrote:

> > I'm talking about the election
> > of the _clan chief_, which is elective in all Orlanthi
> > communities.

>OK, sorry I was looking at the tribal level. Not sure whether this
>should not reflect down to the clan level (does not GIttHW state that
>for the Hendrieki it is now appointed Sherrifs),

The Hendrieki are heavily Malkionized now and so not quite useful in debating the issue of democratic traditions among the Heortlings and Alakorings.

> > you find a single passage that said Alakoring tried to
> > overthrow the Priests? KoS takes the opposite view in that
> > it implies the Priests who were the core of the conservative
> > opposition.

>I suspect this is my reading of the Rex powers to control the
>priesthood.

It would help if we knew clear about what type of Priests are involved. My position is that _every_ priest can be affected by the Rex feat of Weaken Priest (the RQ predecessor affected all priests of the caster's tribe and was not restricted to Orlanth) whereas the standard theories of how Alakoring founded Rex to overcome the priesthood seem to hinge upon the Orlanthi Priests being a law unto themselves.

> > To dispel
> > appearances that I'm quoting my own words, it was Greg
> > who labelled them Alakoring.

>OK. I suspect that my source of confusion on this one was how I
>interpreted Greg's answer to the question on different Orlanthi
>cultures:

He changed his mind. It happens to the best of us.

>Alakoring was a leader in the tenth century
>whose social reforms significantly altered the peoples and tribes who
>followed him. (He instituted the worship of Orlanth Rex, with powers
>to control the priesthood.)

Ahah. So there is such a statement. I do feel however that this is aimed at foreign and draconic priests undermining the Orlanthi tribal loyalties rather than the tribal Wind Voices who would be honor-bound to obey their tribal king most of the time.

>He opposed the traditional Heortlings
>whose leadership followed draconic ways.

Not quite a statement that the Orlanthi Priesthood followed draconic ways.

--Peter Metcalfe