Re: Whose Hills?

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 19:59:28 -0000

Absolutely! In my mind, the main point of having a "rule" is to have fun with the exceptions :)

The thing is that a large, perfect, grove of pure white birch doesn't seem strange and likely magical unless you know first that most of the forest is spruce and ash and that the birch are normally only scattered near water. Or you only know that a wind from the east in Sea Season probably means trouble once you know about the normal weather. Or more dramatically, the dragon waking up and eating most of the lunar provincial command has best impact when you know that there are *not* dragons alive under every hill.

More abstractly, you can only make something cool, unusual, or impressive once the players have a benchmark of what drab, normal, run-of-the-mill is. The same rule applies to setting in its many forms as it does to magical objects, opponent skill, or types of magic. I firmly believe that Glorantha in general and Sartar in particular is full of wonders, but still you need to know about the mundane too *.

--Bryan

In other words, sometimes that subtle gap in assumptions about what is normal can be a source of real gaming pain.