Utuma and yrtgal

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 18:20:18 -0500

The term "utuma" refers to the act of ritual dismemberment which is part of the Draconic Way and expresses a fundamental truth of dragon, and perhaps cosmic, nature. It is through utuma that the Cosmic Dragon became the Ancestral Dragons, Many out of One.

In the "Saga of Ingolf Dragonfriend" (KING OF SARTAR, pp. 186-9), Ingolf calls on the power of his left side (reference to the Lefthand Path of occult significance, perhaps?) to render the dragon into submission, but healed it rather than killing it. Ingolf and the dragon form something referred to as "yrtgal" (the sentence ends abruptly without punctuation), and this is stated as the moment when Ingolf stepped onto the path of draconic friendship.

In "Orlanth and Drolgard" (KOS, pp. 189-91), Orlanth learns that which
"lets dragon-speaking occur... part dance, part prayer, part comic
(cosmic?) routine, and part something else". Is it this to which the term
"yrtgal" refers? Is "yrtgal" the dragon term for the act of ritual
joining, through which Many may become One?

[My curiosity stems from an insight gained as the result of a metaphysical discussion on one of the NEPHILIM mailing lists, and the question is perhaps one more suited to the Glorantha Digest. Were I a member, I would post it there, but Greg seems to pay more attention to this groups anyway.]

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and