Re: Pot-ay-toe Pot-ar-toe

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 15:14:15 +0100

Darran Sims:

> How do you pronounce names like Heler, Helamakt, Odayla, Ormalaya and other
> Gods and subcults. we are having an argument right now about how we say
> Heler?
> I say Hel-ler (but trying to say Hel-er) but Mick Rowe (one of my players)
> says it should be
> Hea-ler.

YGMV. Whatever works.

> Who's right (and do not say YGMV :-) !)

Oh. :-)

> Will a new prosopaedia of gods and heroes or a phonetic spellings be
> published along with HeroQuest?

Dunno about that, but RQ3 did have a prosopaedia with official phonetic spellings. It says 'Heler' is pronounced HEL-er and 'Odayla' is pronounced oe-DAY-lah. There isn't an official guide to the other two you mention AFAIK, but by analogy it should presumably be HEL-amkt (though I say hel-a-MAKT myself) and OR-ma-LAY-ah.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

MXLPs: 3 (Cap'n Q, Harvey Mills, Tim Hall)