RE: Re: Wooden Ram; poh-tay-toe/poh-tah-toe

From: Terry Harvey-Chadwick <terryhc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:09:30 +0100

  -----Original Message-----
  From: David Dunham [mailto:david_at_...]   Sent: 08 April 2002 19:36
  To: HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com
  Subject: Re: Wooden Ram; poh-tay-toe/poh-tah-toe

  Terry

> This sounds a little bit like the old Viking game of Hnaftafl, where
the
> king is surrounded by his huscarls, who are all sorrounded by the
opposition
> pieces. The aim is for the King to reach the edge of the board, while
the
> opposition have to surround the King. It's a very strategic game, akin
> chess but, due to cultural influences, is more likely to be played by
> Heortlings than Lunars.

  What cultural influences? Neither the Lunars nor the Heortlings have   ever heard of Vikings. I for one would be perfectly happy if the   Heortlings played, say, Chinese Checkers. "Landlocked Vikings" is a   great first-order approximation, but almost all the details are in   fact non-Viking.

  [Terry Harvey-Chadwick]

  You know what I mean!!! Whether the Heortlings have ever heard of Vikings is irrelevent, but since parts of Viking (and Celtic, and Anglo-Saxon) culture are more similar to Heortling culture than, say, Classical Greek or Roman (am I allowed to suggest faint similarities with Lunar culture here, amongst other influences) I would suggest that Heortlings would enjoy playing Hnaftafl. Whether the Lunars would enjoy it as well, who can say. As far as tips for playing are concerned, I'm sure you'd like to visit http://www.regia.org/games.htm and have a look. Hnaftafl is a realworld game that could be used as a reference for Heortling culture. Wooden Ram is an excellent example of someone using their imagination, which I'm too lazy to do. Well done Peter.

  I like how Peter included some tips for narration.

  Darran

> How do you pronounce names like Heler, Helamakt, Odayla, Ormalaya and
other
> Gods and subcults. we are having an argument right now about how we
say
> Heler?
> I say Hel-ler (but trying to say Hel-er) but Mick Rowe (one of my
players)
> says it should be
> Hea-ler.

  I say "hell-er" (see also