Re: Whose Hills are these? Will the real hill rambler please stand up

From: Douglas Seay <douglas-seay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 06:37:36 -0400

wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...> wrote:

> So far as I can see, Sartar might not have an ocean nor plentiful
> Lochs, but it is positively jumping with Storm Gods! Now, maybe they
> all just blow over with little clouds and rain only on alternate
> Tuesdays, but I doubt it. Sartar is going to be WET. Maybe not many
> lakes, but that might be because of lack of glaciation in the past
> (did Valind and his kin ever reach Sartar?). Therefore, all the wind
> and rain has smoothed out the hills of Sartar just like the Ice Ages
> did Scotland, but Sartar lacks the ice-gouged glens to form lochs.
> And there you have a Gloranthan analogue of Scotland.

Glaciers seem way too boring as a reason to have, or not have, lakes. Sounds too much like the black art of "science". I don't know if Valid made it to Sartar or not, but I hope that this isn't why the Heortlings think lakes exist.

Wouldn't lake be the results of when the water gods tried to invade the land? If rivers were the lead warriors/armies, the lakes would be vilages, or at least encampments. The lack of lakes means to me that the water gods were stopped before Sartar.

ObHills: I've never made up my mind about the peaks, but for most of Dragon Pass, I think about Vercours, which is the western foothills of the Alps between Grenoble and Valence. Very rough terrain in the sense that an individual can move through here much more easily than can a large group. Lots of twisty valleys, hiding spots, and so on. It was a hotspot of the resistance for just these reasons. IIRC the first real road was cut through less than 2 centuries ago.