Re: Whose Hills are these? + tentacles

From: dzo01 <dzo_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:27:26 -0000

> ObHills: I've never made up my mind about the peaks, but for
most of
> Dragon Pass, I think about Vercours, which is the western
foothills of
> the Alps between Grenoble and Valence. Very rough terrain in
the sense
> that an individual can move through here much more easily
than can a
> large group. Lots of twisty valleys, hiding spots, and so on. It
was a
> hotspot of the resistance for just these reasons. IIRC the first
real
> road was cut through less than 2 centuries ago.

I must agree with this - the Vercours are an excellent analogy for Sartar's hills. I also think that the Alps around Briançon are not
to bad an analogy for the Quivin peaks, albeit the Quivin peaks should be a little higher. I course, having just moved to Grenoble I might be a little biased...

Wrt another Dragon Pass feature - the edge of the SnakePipe Hollow which is described as a very steep escarpment. I've always looked at this as similar to the Drakensberg (Dragon Mountains - nice, fitting name)/uKhahlamba (the Barrier of Spears - just as cool), in South Africa, in particular the Amphitheatre. Not only is it absolutely stunning, but the visual image of, literaly, a wall of mountains rising 1000m out of the foothills underlines the unnatural nature of the hollow for me.

Off-topic: Is there anyone driving up to the Tentacles convention from Southern France who has place in a car in return for petrol/péage contributions? Please reply to <david.pearton_at_...>

Yours,
Yak