Sort of a movie recommendation

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:08:30 -0400

Hi there,

This is only sort of a recommendation because it wasn't that good a movie but I recently saw the French film Vercingetorix starring Christopher Lambert (an actor wooden enough to serve as matching bookends with Keanu Reeves), Klaus Maria Brandauer (an excellent actor but badly miscast as Julius Caesar, and Max von Sydow as the head druid.

The sets and costumes were pretty cool as was the scenery (it was shot in Bulgaria I believe and they had neat sets for Gegovia and Alesia. The Gauls as portrayed in the movie would make excellent Heortlings as none of them can follow orders to save (literally) their cause. The whole situation/plot would be great for a Hero Wars scenario set in Sartar during the early stages of the Lunar conquest.

Strangely enough the English language title is The Druids, though the movie has very little to do with them other than to mention their persecution at the Roman's hands. I assume this is because the movie distributors think most people wouldn't know who Vercingetorix is (probably correctly). Oddly enough French Canadians are assumed to know who he is since it's on the pay movie channels here in Canada under the French title.

I suspect despite being filmed in France that it was actually done in English since all the dialogue is in the original actors' voices and I never got that "this is dubbed" feeling with the mouths not matching the voices.

Interestingly enough the script was co-written by Norman Spinrad! (I missed that in the credits). There is a French website for the movie at : http://www.vercingetorix-lefilm.com which does have some images.

Enough of this somewhat OT subject.

Oliver