Re: Another sort of movie reccomendation

From: Tim Walters <walters_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:50:07 -0400 (EDT)

"bethexton" <bethexton_at_...> wrote:

> When Atanarjuat wins away Oki's promised wife-to-be, the beautiful
> Atuat, in a head punching competition

Now that's what I call great cinema.

Seriously, the movie sounds fascinating, and reminds me of the Tibetan film _The Horse Thief_, which also featured a non-professional native cast. I don't remember the plot all that well (typical for me, I'm afraid), but I do remember that you get to see a lot of interesting Tibetan customs, including rather extreme-to-Westerners ones such as "sky burial" (i.e., leaving corpses out for the vultures) and animal sacrifice (by literal burial). There's probably some good campaign ideas in there...