Re: Alakoring vs Heortling vs Vingkotling

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:38:23 -0000

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> But before the EWF, I do think Orlanthi priests would have
> been no less loyal to the tribe than any other Orlanthi.
> After all, Elmali and Humakti are fanatically loyal without
> any need for a Rex feat.

Although we now have "Command gods of Storm pantheon" as a Rex feat so plenty more room for heated debate ;-)

I'm rereading Enclosure 1 and GIttHW to try and get a picture based on your (everyone''s) comments. So far the only thing that is clear is that while GIttHW says that Alakorings are different from Heortlings (in the Tarsh write up specifically) it does not clearly say how.

The only extant evidence we have is the Orlanth Rex cult - but it seems that using that as evidence for what Alakoring vs. non-  society is like is difficult because we don't know if he was reacting to changes to Heortling culture created by EWF or inherent in the cultural changes created by Heort following his return with the Lawstaff and reorganisation of the Vingkotling survivors at the time of the Hidden Kings saga (using Enclosure #1 as a source).

Presumably the implication of the Lawstaff is that Heort made changes to the Orlanthi legal system - perhaps for the resoloution of feuds (the Helm and Sword war was started by a feud so it seems appropriate) - maybe Heort invented weregild.

Of course he is also responsible for teaching survival skills in the Darkness and defending against chaos in IFWW through the knowledge gained from Vingkot's second son.

Heort had "Divine Blood" so contrary to what I suggested there seems to be no evidence he changed the Vingkotling pattern of choosing as kings (agreed nothing said about chiefs) those who could trace descent to Vingkot (and therefore Orlanth). So that theory of mine seems to be a bust - never mind.

My other concern about the term Alakoring form GIttHW is this: If the Rex cult is an Alakoring thing, and not all Heortlings are to be considered Alakoring (seems to be those NW of Dragon pass ?) would the Sartarites and Hendriki have the Rex cult.

I guess that the former might have picked it up from Tarsh (especially as N.Sartar was Tarshite) but it seems to be a bit late considering the period of tribe formation in Sartar. The latter might have not have had Rex their culture being influenced by Larnsti,cult of Free hendrik, Only Old one, Phaoroah, Malkioni instead etc. ?

Any illumination on what I am confusing here :-)

As for Esroluvi(?) the existence of other non-Vingkotlings and non-  Orlanthi I will have to find some giants shoulders to stand on so I can see further.

Ian