Re: Alakoring vs Heortling vs Vingkotling

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:28:48 -0000

Benedict Adamson wrote:
> I'd argue strongly that Ernalda invented wergild (or rather,
prompted
> Orlanth to declare it). 'There is always another way.'

Possible - but Heort is an important cultural hero, he must have done something and I'm trying to figure out what. Besides IFWW and Darkness Survival we are told that he brought back the Lawstaff which implies to me a role as a lawgiver. Weregild just seemed appropriate as a reaction to the feud of the Sword and Helm war as one of the things he law code may have included.

We could compromise and suggest that Orlanth and Ernalda may have originated the laws but have Heort (Moses like) returning after a quest to give them to the Vingkotlings who have decimated themselves in the Helm and Sword war. AFAIK this fits with existing evidence. Sure I'll be told if I am way off base here :-)