Re: Reluctant gamers

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:54:44 +0100

Guy Hoyle wrote:

> One of the groups I used to play with doesn't see the value of building
> clans and tribes when gaming. They don't see the entertainment value in
> most activities that involve "heroic quests" (by which they mean
> vanquishing monsters, getting treasure, and going up in levels as quickly
> as possible). They mostly play the typical wandering mercenary band typical
> of many RPGs.

What do they like about playing a game? Being a wandering mercenary band is part of the game world background information, rather than what they get out of the game itself. What is it about playing that they find enjoyable? Ian Cooper recently (on the hw-rules list) brought our attention of Ron Edward's ideas

   http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/gns/gns_chapter2.html It might be useful to analyse your group in those terms.

'[don't] see the value of building clans and tribes when gaming.' Not simulationists? Or they don't like nitty-gritty settings? Would they be happy building up an empire (e.g. playing high ranking Lunar nobles)?

'[don't like heroic quests such as] vanquishing monsters, getting treasure,'
They don't like fantasy settings? This could be the biggest problem. Would they like playing mostali in a steampunk style?

'[don't like] going up in levels as quickly as possible' Not actually part of doing 'heroic quests'; heroic questing is part of the setting. They don't like playing as a competitive game? That's OK.

> I'd like to rejoin this group using Glorantha and Hero Wars, but I'm not at
> all sure they will enjoy it very much. But perhaps I've misjudged them, and
> they just haven't been exposed to any other style of play.
Perhaps. I was a simulationist at heart, but I've moved towards the narrativist camp.