Re: Reluctant gamers

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:56:34 +0100

Guy Hoyle wrote:
> They like defeating monsters,
> grabbing treasure, and improving their abilities, like most gamers. But
> they regard anything that doesn't lead directly to that as a waste of time.
> They play D&D3 and the Hero System, mostly.
> When I
> suggested that the search for material components could be used to start
> some great adventures, they complained
> They probably wouldn't want to play nobles and be tied down to a particular
> area. I've pointed out that that would give them opportunities to overcome
> different challenges, but they don't regard that as adventuring.
> They like fantasy settings, but pretty much only as things to kill and
> loot.

>From your description, they know precisely what they want, D&D3 and
HS provide it, and do not want to even try something else. If that is really the case, getting them to play HW would be difficult, painful and pointless.

Are they all like that? Perhaps some of them would be willing to try something different, and you could play with them without having to pull the others from their beloved dungeon? How many people are you talking about? I've Narrated HW with only two players, and Bruce Ferrie has Narrated it with only one, so you need not convince the whole group.