Re: Reluctant gamers

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:30:11 -0000

Guy Hoyle wrote:

> They like fantasy settings, but pretty much only as things to kill
and loot.

> I'm pretty much a narrativist myself. They seem to be more like
tacticians and powergamers, really. I wouldn't mind if my character died, as long as it was done in an entertaining manner that served a purpose.

My approach would be this - tell stories to keep you interested, but tell them around themes that interest them, to begin with.

If what interests them is killing and looting run a game with them as Wolf Pirates, a Humakti hundred, Black Horse Troop mercenaries. Their hero band is a mercenary company or military unit. That gives you a reason to run a lot of loot and kill episodes. Slowly try to get them to see that the extended contest mechanics can make non-combat encounters as much fun - a heated debate in the mead hall is always a good crowd pleaser in our group. Show them Glorantha (Wolf Pirates and Humakti warbands can both use Viking warbands as quick analogs to help them get started). Don't forget a lot of Viking and Saxon stories are, on the surface, about looting and killing, but have deeper questions about honor, courage, loyalty, and wyrd underneath. Think of the Battle of Maldon (particulalry for Humakti), or the ending of Beowulf. Use that as your in to weave more complex stories.

Ian Cooper