Tobi Culture; good for a small island in Glorantha?

From: con1453_at_...
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:50:10 EDT

 In 1832, a group of Americans and Palauans were shipwrecked on the Island of Tobi, 3°N, 131°E, now part of the Palau Group. The Captain and a couple others escaped a few months later, but most were forced to remain on the island for two years.

During that time they were treated as slaves, suffering in many ways. One

way was that they were forcibly tattooed all over their bodies (this account

is probably the basis for a similar account in Melville's Typee).

Captain Bernard wrote an account of his experiences, but here is an excerpt from Horace Holden's account. He was one of the unfortunates who stayed

two years on the island.

Holden's story is remarkably observant. He and the others were forced by

necessity to learn the Tobi language (which was unintelligible to the

Palauans). His account is interesting because it is a picture of a people,

utterly isolated from other humans, living under the most primitive

conditions.

Most interesting is that in spite of being near starvation constantly, they

were poor fishermen. When the captives tried to introduce better hook

technology, it was refused for religious reasons.

Here is Chapter Seven, which describes the Tobi people.

CHAPTER VII, The island, to which they were carried, proves to be Lord

North's Island, called by the natives To'bee, An account of the island and

its inhabitants-Their manners and customs.

IT MAY NOW BE PROPER IN THIS PLACE TO GIVE SOME account of the place where

our unhappy lot was cast, and its rude and miserable inhabitants. It will be

impossible to convey a correct idea of their ignorance, poverty, and

degradation; but some conception may be formed, by imagining, what the

condition of beings must necessarily be, when wholly separated from the rest

of their species, stripped of all the refinements of life, and deprived of

all means and opportunities for improvement.

We were now upon the small piece of land called by the natives ToŒbee, but

known to navigators by the name of Lord North's Island, situated between the

third and fourth degrees of north latitude, and in longitude one hundred and

thirty-one degrees twenty minutes east. It is also known by the name of

Nevil's Island and Johnston1s Island; and it has been hitherto considered by

navigators and others as uninhabited. This is not surprising; as we were

told by the natives that no white man had ever visited the place; though it

seemed, from the pieces of iron in their possession, and from other

circumstances, that they had had some communication with the Spaniards and

Portuguese in that quarter of the world.* Like many other islands in those

seas, this is surrounded by a coral reef, which is from an eighth to one

half of a mile wide; but outside of the reef the water is apparently

fathomless, the water being as blue as it is in the middle of the ocean; and

the largest vessels may in many places approach within a quarter of a mile

of the beach. The whole island rises so little above the level of the sea,

that the swell often rolls up to a considerable distance inland. It is about

three quarters of a mile in length, and not far from half a mile in width.

There were upon it three villages situated on the shores, and containing, in

all, between three and four hundred souls, at the time when we were taken

there; but the number was considerably diminished by famine and disease

before we left.

The inhabitants are in a state of entire barbarism and ignorance. The men

wear a sort of girdle or belt made of the bark of a tree. This is girded

round the loins so as to leave one end to hang loose behind, the other is

brought forward and fastened to the belt in front. This is their only

clothing. The females, after arriving at the age of womanhood wear an apron

made of the leaves of a plant, by them called Kurremung, split into fine

strips and plaited. This extends from the loins nearly to the knees. Some

few wear rings upon their wrists made of white shells, and some had this

kind of ornament made of turtle shells. In their ears, which are always

bored, they sometimes wear a leaf; and round their necks a necklace made of

the shell of the cocoa -nut, and a small white shell, called keem shell, The

children go entirely naked. The complexion of these islanders is a light

copper color; much lighter than the Maylays, or the Pelew islanders; which

last, however, hey resemble in the breadth of their faces, high cheek bones,

and broad flattened noses. They do not color their teeth, by chewing any

thing, as many of those islanders do; but their teeth are so strong that

they can husk a cocoa-nut with them instantly.

Their principal food is the cocoa-nut. They occasionally succeed in

procuring fish, though the supply obtained during our residence there was

exceedingly mall, Their fish- hooks are made of turtle-shell, and not well

contrived for the purpose; but we could not induce them to use our hooks,

till they had heated them and altered their fond so that they would not hold

the fish. They did this, because they said that Yarris (God) would be angry

with them, if they used our hooks without preparing them according to their

fashion. Sometimes they are so fortunate as to obtain a sea -turtle; five

only were taken during the two years we were there. The turtle, I may add,

has something of a sacred character with them. They also raise small

quantities of a vegetable somewhat resembling the yam; but while we were

with them they were unsuccessful in cultivating it. These constitute the

slender means of their support; and they are thus barely kept from actual

death by famine, but on the very verge of starvation. When anyone of them

begins to fail, for want of food, so that his death is pretty certain, they

inhumanly turn him off from among them, to starve to death.

Their religion is such as might be expected among a people in their

condition. Their place of worship is a rudely constructed building or hut,

about fifty feet long and thirty wide. In the centre, suspended from the

roof, is a sort of altar, into which they suppose their deity comes to hold

converse with the priest. Rudely carved images are placed in different parts

of the building, and are supposed to personate their divinity. As nearly as

could be ascertained by us, they supposed that the object of their worship

was of like passions with themselves, capricious and revengeful. During the

time we were with them, they attributed to is displeasure their want of

success in taking fish as they had done in former times, and the

unfruitfulness of their bread-fruit and cocoa trees.

Their religious ceremonies are singular. In the commencement the priest

walks round the altar and takes from it a mat, devoted to the purpose, which

is laid upon the ground. He then seats himself upon it, and begins to hoot,

in the mean time throwing himself into a variety of attitudes, for the

purpose of calling down the divinity into the altar. At intervals the

congregation sing, but immediately stop when the priest breaks out in his

devotions, By the side of the altar is always placed a large bowl, and six

cocoa-nuts. After the incantation is gone through, and the divinity is

supposed to be present, the bowl is turned up, and four of the nuts are

broken and put in it. two being reserved for the exclusive use of a priest

by them called also "Yarris." As soon as the nuts are broken, one of the

company begins to shout, and, rushing to the centre, seizes the bowl, and

drink of the milk of the nut, generally spilling a considerable part of it

upon the ground, After this a few pieces are thrown to the images and the

remainder are eaten by the priests, This closes the ceremony; after which

they indulge' in any recreations that chance to please them best,

While we were on the island several earthquakes happened, and some of hem

pretty severe, On those occasions the natives were much terrified; they

would not let their children speak a word; and they said among themselves:

zahbee'too Yarris, To 'bee yettah'men,' that is Yarris (God) is coming and

To 'bee (the name of the island) will sink. They were also very much alarmed

at thunder and lightning; and used to say at such times, Yarris tee'tree,

God is talking. I do not know how they would be affected by an eclipse, as

none happened that I noticed while we remained there.

I will here mention some other things in respect to their customs and

usages, as they now occur to me.

 Their implements of war are spears and clubs; they have no bows and arrows.

Their spears are made of the wood of the cocoa-nut trees; the points of hem

are set with rows of sharks' teeth; and, being at the same time very heavy

and from ten to twenty feet long, are formidable weapons,

 Their canoes are made of logs which drift to their island from other

places. There being no trees on it large enough for that purpose; they are

hollowed out with great labor, and are of very clumsy workmanship; to

prevent their oversetting, they are fitted up with outriggers, like those of

the Pelew islanders. A ketch of one is given in the accompanying engraving.

They kindle their fires, as they informed me, by rubbing two pieces of wood

I together, as is common in the islands of the Pacific Ocean; and they cook

their turtle or other meat, (when they are so fortunate as to have any,) as

well as their vegetables, by covering them with heated stones. I should

state, however, that during the whole time we stayed among them. fire was

always preserved in some part of the island, so that there was no necessity

for kindling it in the manner here mentioned.

Like other savage people, they reckon time by moons; I could not learn that

they ever reckoned by any other period, except, indeed, with speaking of two

or three days.

They take pride in their hair, and are particularly careful about it,

washing and cleansing it almost every day. They do ~<I hey do not color it,

however. As the natives of some islands are said to do; but they moisten it

with the juice pressed out from the cocoa-nut, which gives it a very glossy

app cocoa-nut, which gives it a very glossy appearance; and it is frequently

so long as to reach down to their waist.

Their mode of salutation is, to clasp each other in their arms and touch

their noses together, as is practised in many other islands.

 We found no musical instruments of any kind among them. They sometimes. On

particular occasions, would sing or bawl out something like a rude tune; but

we could not understand it. We frequently tried to teach them to whistle and

their awkward attempts to do it amused us; but they never were able to learn

how it was done.

 In their names, I could not find that they had any thing like a family

name. but only a single one, (corresponding to our Christian names,) as is

the case, I believe, throughout the islands of the Pacific. I could not

learn, that the names were significant either of animals or other objects,

as the Indian names of America are, and I never found any two persons of the

same name. The names of the Ilembers of the family with which I lived were

as follows:

Pahrahboo ' ah. the father of the family.

Nah 'kit. the mother.

Buhwur tirnar, the eldest child. a son. ten or twelve years old.

Kobaw'ut, the second, a daughter.

Kobahnoo 'uk. the third, a daughter.

 The children do not address their parents by any word corresponding to

father or mother, papa or mamma, but by their names. Their parents treat

them on the footing of equality; they are generally well behaved, and are

never punished, except occasionally when impatient for their food.

Their language appears to be different from those of the other islands in

that quarter; we found that the three natives of the Pelew Islands, that

accompanied us, could not understand any thing they said; though I observed

afterwards, occasionally, a resemblance in two or three words, The reader

will, however, be enabled to judge for himself, by means of a short

vocabulary of common words which will be found at the end of this narrative.

I may add, that the Pelew chiefs had never heard of Lord North's Island; but

they are acquainted with the Caroline Islands.

A detail of all that befell us, would serve only to give pain to the

benevolent, or at most to show how much human beings can endure. I shall

attempt but little more than to describe the sufferings of a day; observing

once for all, that for the term of two long years we experienced the same

privations, and were subjected to he same brutal treatment; life, during all

that time, being no better than the constant succession of the most acute

sufferings.

This island, unlike the Pelews, is one of the most horrible and wretched on

the face of the globe, the only product of its soil worth mentioning is the

cocoa tree; and those are of so dwarfish and miserable a growth as to bear

but very few nuts. These few, however, constitute the food of the

inhabitants, with the exception of a species of fish caught occasionally

near the shore. The only animals or creeping things known on the island are

lizards and mice, and during our stay there scarcely a solitary sea-fowl was

known to have alighted on the island and but few fish were taken by the

natives.

The character of the inhabitants much resembles that of the island itself,

Cowardly and servile, yet most barbarous and cruel, they combine, in their

habits, tempers, and dispositions, the most disgusting and loathsome

features that disgrace humanity, And, what may be regarded as remarkable,

the female portion of the inhabitants outstrip the men in cruelty and savage

depravity; so much so, that we were frequently indebted to the tender

mercies of the men for escapes from death at the hands of the women. The

indolence of the natives, which not even the fear of starvation itself can

rouse to exertion, prevents their undertaking the least toil. Although a

little labor, well applied, might be made to render them infinitely more

comfortable. *

Strange as it may appear, it is nevertheless true, that, notwithstanding

they are in this miserable condition, with no prospect of its ever being

improved, they are of the opinion that they are highly favored. This can be

accounted for in no other way than by the fact, that they are entirely

ignorant of all that lies beyond the narrow limits of their observation.

They know nothing of any other portion of the globe, than the mere speck of

barren land upon which by some accident they were thrown, and where they

remain, to drag out a wretched existence, Their traditions do not extend

further back than to about a hundred years; and, to their simple minds, it

seems like a splendid effort of mind to be able to relate, with tolerable

accuracy, the time-hallowed stories told them by their parents. Whether they

could in any way be improved by instruction, is a question which it would be

difficult to answer. They seem to be doomed to remain, as one of the last

links in the chain that connects our race with the mere animal part of the

creation.