Re: The Ratuki

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 04:45:30 -0700 (PDT)

> > * Tomikaratra may be giant spirits rather than gods, the
> > Ratuki religion is not defined in terms of theism and
> > animism
>
> Not defined in those terms? That's hardly allowed, these days,
> surely? ;-) I was going to suggest, in fact, or at least
> wonder aloud, if it were perhaps not the case that the Ratuki
> were not hsunchen precisely because they were theists?

That does make some very good sense. Not the least as it also gives the Ratuki an excellent reason to loot and plunder and take captives: if Ratuk doesn't respond well to sacrifice, they have to sacrifice proportionally more to get a decent return.

> If
> they integrates aspects of a Great Shark Spirit, it's harder
> still to call them non-hsunchen, surely? (Granted not having
> the right Green Age credentials might make them "neo-hsunchen"
> or some such alarming concept...)

Question is, do the Ratuki consider themselves shark souls trapped in human bodies? (I don't know).

But, making them theists, with shark shapechanging as their religious secret is indeed tempting.

Nils Weinander

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness http://health.yahoo.com