Re: Humakti and Heortlings law?

From: charlescorrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 21:29:26 -0000

> In Storm Tribe it is said p96 "Anyone who has a quarel with a Humakti
> must deal with him directly, without the official support of
> Heortling law." There is also something p63 under Sundering Family
> Ties. So it seems a Humakti is out of the Heortling law.
>
> Yet in Thunder Rebels p36 it says "Even a grim Humakti and his
> followers can be brought before the courts [...]
>
> So, which is it? Are Humakti (and other members of cults that thunder
> their clan/family ties) subject to the Heorling laws or not?

Think of the pragmatism of the practise of Heortling law - yes in theory anyone can be challenged with a lawsuit (in King of Dragno Pass, one scene allows a ghost to be taken to court, which is the "correct" choice for the scene resolution) - but who wants to be involved in taking a Humakti to court?

In my opinion, the real issue is that a humakti has no bloodline/clan that can be made responsible for paying any fine/judgement against the humakti. And, by the same token, there is no clan/bloodline to avenge the humakti's death/injury or indeed take out a case against a perpetrator.

regards,
Charles