Re: Digest Number 841

From: Dougie <dougiepunk_at_...>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 13:53:15 +0100

Yes, but if a Humakti cuts down my brother, surely I can get all my (other) brothers, cousins and friends etc, and go and find him and chop him up, death magics or no...
 ...there will be no-one (no family anyways) to avenge me.

So by extension, if the Humakti kills my brother, I could take him to court and demand wergild to compensate for the loss to my family and to satisfy my honour so I don't have to get friends and kin involved in more bloodshed with a dangerous humakti and possibly his dangerous humakti friends. If the humakt refuses to come to terms in court, I still have the option (as always) of using violence.

I don't really see how this differs from normal heorting law... remember, the law is simply a way resolving disputes, not of dispensing "justice". Immunity from the law is not really an issue - protecting yourself from vengeance is. Of course a powerful humakti with a following of fanatical killers might be able to get away with a lot but that is not a point of law...

Dougie.

"Do you want to make it impossible for anyone to oppress his fellow-man? Then make sure that no one shall possess power."  [The Political Philosophy of Bakunin, p. 271]

There is 1 message in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

  1. Re: Re: Humakti and Heortlings law? From: "Julian Lord" <julian.lord_at_...>

Message: 1