RE: Sun's path across the Skydome?

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 22:00:54 +0100

Darran asks:

> I was wondering what the path of the Gloranthan sun (Yelm, Yelmalio,
Elmal,
> or whatever) across the Skydome?

It's more southerly, like in the RW. Shadows in Genertela fall north. Shadows in Pamaltela fall south. Actually, IIRC, the path is somewhat south-of-central, so the sun appears more nearly overhead in Pamaltela than in Genertela.

> Also I remember reading about the great transition that is the sun going
> through Rausa's Gate at twilight and the arrival of Xentha's Cloak that
> heralds the coming of night that happens (strangely enough) daily. Would
> this have significance to everyday living for Gloranthans? (namely the
> Heortlings in particular).

Yep, certainly. It's what they call "bed-time" :-)

For an excellent visualisation, see Mr Tines' Gloranthan Planetarium (Ephemeris II) at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1394/ephem.html

Cheers, Nick