Re: Orlanth Rex; Alakoring vs Heortling vs Vingkotling vs Haranding

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 07:49:24 -0700

Peter and I discussed

> > > It's more than Command Gods of Storm Pantheon, it's command any
> > > god. Orlanth is the King of the Gods as well as being Chief of
> > > the Storm Tribe.
>
> >But the feat is indeed "Command Gods of Storm Pantheon" [HW.62].
>
> Oopsie. I thought you were talking about Weaken Priest.

GIven that is part of the Loyalty affinity, I don't see any grounds for using it on priests of arbitrary gods, most of whom have no particular loyalty to Orlanth. Other than gods of the Storm Pantheon. Your narrator may vary.

Ian

> The Justice stick is used to decide the claim [in a sort of ordeal by
> fire, they hold the stick, the Harandings king has his hand burned].

This scene is illustrated in King of Dragon Pass, BTW. (Though I think the artist got the directions wrong, and the Vingkotlings and Harandings may be reversed.)

> So to get back to my original question I suspect that the Vingkotlins
> and Heortlings are not that different now, I get the impression the
> Heort restores the culture after it is nearly destroyed and falls
> from the right path in the Darkness more than changes its form.

I believe there are no more Vingkotlings. I think there are still Vingkotling elements in modern Heortling society.

> As for the Harandings they are a non-Vingkotling Orlanthi people -
> any idea what happens to them do they dissappear in the Storm Age or
> Darkness or they antecedents of someone else?

They become the Wenelian Orlanthi (and some of them are transplanted to Umathela where they provide ingredients for that culture).

> PS Has anyone done anything much n the Wenelians apart from what is
> in GIttHW (IIRC they represent Orlanth as a boar, and have a relation
> to the boar hsunchen peoples of the area).

I had hoped to include some material on them in Enclosure 3, but got distracted by KoDP. Nick Brooke and Trotsky had some stuff I was hoping to synthesize. Some of Nick's was posted to old Glorantha Digests, and might be searchable (I think "Wendel" is a good term to search by).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein