Re: Humakti Numbers

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 14:57:38 -0000

> I don't really go for all this strong liminality
> stuff, with Humakti standing somehow outside of society - I don't
think
> they do so any more than, say, Lhankor Mhy initiates. Sure, some
Humakti
> really *are* that extreme, notably Disciples, but the overwhelming
> majority (more than an Orlanthi 'all', say 95%) are IMO resheathed.
This
> means, among other things that they 'must pay and be paid fines and
> wergild as normal' (ST p96), which implies its perfectly possible to
> take them to court if one wishes. This, to me, is both more
plausible
> and more interesting from a gaming POV than having hods of
> death-wielding fanatics clogging up the countryside.

In purely practical terms, there isn't much of a living in being a death-wielding fanatic! Death worshippers thought they may be, Humakti still need to make a living. In the strongly clan based culture of Sartar, I agree that the majority would be integrated into the clan structure. I imagine that they'd tend to keep to themselves somewhat because they are different from most people. I'd look at it this way, in a small rural town in the US, if there happened to be three people who had served as marines and who had all seen bloody action, most of the townsfolk are going to view them as a little different, and they are apt to spend at least some time together, because nobody else in town will understand what they've been through. So the Humakti may be a respected part of the clan, but still be somewhat isolated and shunned.

What ways are there for a Humakti cut off from kin to earn a living? Since worshipper Humakt pretty much means you are a warrior, this means being hired by someone willing to work with those cut off from kin. Some Humakti will serve at the important Humakt temples, and earn a living that way. Others may be mercenaries, but in the period of Sartar rising, who can afford to hire mercenaries other than the lunars? Sure, there may be a few tribal kings who want to hire outside weaponthanes loyal just to the king, but even in this case the Humakti are part of the usual clan/tribal structure. I just don't see many opportunities for someone completely cut off from that structure to earn any sort of living, unless they are comfortable working for the lunars (and can get the lunars to trust them).

On the other hand, I can see much more demand for them in Esrolia, where the number of warriors seems to be lower, and there is greater variety in male gods, and where the rulers' attitude towards warrior men is less apt to be "brothers in arms" than "a convenient tool to use and discard as needed." There I can understand Humakti regiments finding more regular employment. Later on in the hero wars these might roam more widely, and inspire imitators as Heortling standing armies become more viable.

All just IMO of course.

-Bryan