Re: (no subject)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 02:50:28 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 13 May 2002 kmnellist_at_... wrote:

> I am looking for some inspiration for the next episode of my campaign.
> The Heroes are a motley band of assorted types that have been brought
> together by the unifying magic of Lord Pavis. (the game is set during the
> founding of the city). In a relatively shameless duplication of "the Cradle"
> scenario I have had the Heroes help build and man a Cradle down the river,
> with the assistance of Giant Ants (rather than Piglings), a Magic plant
> (replacing the Horn of Slops) and pig sized aphids (replacing the Nursemaid).
> The next phase takes them through Feroda and out onto the oceans, where Lord
> Pavis has instructed them to defend it against Wachaza Pirates and other
> godlearner pirates, monsters from the deeps, and any other oceangoing
> dangers. The biggrst danger of all is the Pool into which I hope they will
> go. I now need some way of tempting them into hell with the Baby Giant, and
> then a way to get out of hell.

This is all nice othervice, but I don't recall Pavis having any aspirations of helping the Cradles along. Didn't he cheerfully continue robbing them?

<snip>
> reference for this) and eventually emerges mounted on a fiery steed. I am a
> bit stuck for Sorcerors and Elmali in the Underworld as they don't appear to
> go there very often, in fact Elmal specifically stays behind while sorcerors
> seem to shrivel up and have no magic. The Giant Baby has appropriate digging
> technology (giant pick and shovel) and the Giant Ants are involved in the Uz
> escape from Hell.

The Elmalian has to invent something new. Scary and unlikely to succeed. Of course he can renounce his barbarian ways, and join the progression of Yelm. I have no idea what that would do to the character. Parhaps his soul will be reborn as a Dara Happan.

But wait a minute. The era of Pavis. Is the Elmalian a worshipper of the Dragon Sun (emperor of Dara Happa), or does he have any other draconic powers. He can just try to find his own inner sun-dragon, and fly out of hell. It may require an utuma though.

The sorcerer needs to find and tap a node of stygine essense. There are references to this being done (in the new Glorantha book I think), but it doesn't seem easy.

Or he could try to find some Aether essense (since the theists can see a trail of Yelms fiery blood), and ascend to the surface by using that. (or use it as a portal to the sorcery planes)

> Other than ideas for getting out of Hell, I wondered if there were any ideas
> fot adventures while in the underworld. I thought I might try a bit of the
> Deshkorgos underworld but this doesn' t seem all that appropriate somehow. It
> makes the escape from Hell a rather bland affair as well in my opinion.

The only adventure in the Underworld so far in my campaign happened when a Household of Death humakti had sanctified an area for a private sacrifice, and was drawn into a Zorak Zorani heroquest. As it turned out, the Humakti beat Zorak Zoran totally (cut of his arm and stole back the piece of Death he had enchanted as a mace, before ZZ escaped) nobody came to challenge him, as he walked through Hell as Humakt himself.

        -Adept