Re: (no subject)

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:10:08 -0000

There are bound to be little known/forgotten sub-cults of Elmal. I seem to recall when Orlanth returns to the world he throws a torch to Elmal. Perhaps that torch carries a piece of Elmal in it, somehow? Maybe your Elmali could essentially catch a ride back to the surface as "the torch." Also, Orlanth and Elmal swapped shields before Orlanth started his quest. This would suggest to me that some aspect of "Elmal the Defender" (or something similar) went with Orlanth. Perhaps it has been lost, but maybe it can be found and the myth of how it returns to Elmal could be followed. Finally, Elmal is sometimes Esra's husband (the whole fire season competition with Heler). Esra is of course returning to the surface world, perhaps there is a myth that can be found there, again where some aspect of Elmal helps protect her in the underworld and see her to the surface.

Agreed though that the hero will be working blind, which is awfully difficult and dangerous. Unless of course he can find a reliable oracle down there....