Re: Digest Number 97

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:43:32 -0400

Wulf Corbett wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:09:53 +0100, t.s.baguley_at_... wrote:
>
> >>BTW, I remember something about a knight's full plate armor taking a
> >>year to make. Most Gloranthan armor isn't as involved.
>
> >A man-year? In which case apprentices, magic and prepped materials would
> >make a big difference. (Not to mention that in DP only Ethilrist has full
> >plate).
>
> Plus, is that an actual year's work, or was most of it spent trying to
> get time for fittings?
>
> Wulf

A set of Milanese plate would take over a month to make. This required the services of 2+ armorers, 20+ apprentices and journeymen, an assortment of 40(!) anvils and a modest foundry (assuming that the iron plate was already poured and purchsed from the folks in the hills). The knight was expected to come in every few days or even daily at the crucial parts. But this is the height of armor-ial fashion.

If you're smelting your own plate, then that's another ad-on for time.

Price? Upwards of 20,000 florins(!)
Jeff