escape from hell

From: bwbfc_at_...
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:12:39 EDT

Hi

Keith Nellist:
<< << If Elmal falls into the Underworld IMO that's because he's back in the Fire tribe. He should now serve as a dutiful and loyal servant of the Dead Emperor and fulfil all of his most capricious and outrageous wishes while being beaten like a slave and so on. The Emperor is always just, but Elmal must trick him into being unjust, letting him be blinded by his own dim, almost extinguished light. This will cause the Emperor of the Dead to lose all of the light and heat he has left, in which case the Lord of Ashes can do nothing to prevent Elmal to leave the Underworld with the Justice Spear he gained back as a torch to light the way up. Probably that counts as experimental heroquesting, or just re-enacting the myth of Elmal's birth, probably both.>>

Hmm, can I combine this with the court room drame from the Blue Moon. Rhetorical question. >>

The myths fit well together. Annilla rose from the Styx waters mingled with Yelm's blood: If water touches Yelm's body, that proves that he can't see the water and so is unjust and so his Justice is going to fly away... If Yelm cannot see the water, that's because he's "blinded by his own brightness" in Elmali terms; in Annillan terms he only sees his own reflection in the mirror of Annilla's pleading, which would theoretically convince him that she's innocent although she killed him. In Elmali terms, once Yelm has to give up the Justice Spear, the Fire brothers fight for it and Elmal wins.
Another myth shows Elmal escaping from the inside of the Emperor's body (Teller of Lies, a Chaos god!) after Elmal served him his own horse for dinner...

<< The barrier to the otherside is going to be going down the pool and, I guess you could call it surviving, but you might call it dying. I think I run it as an extended contest with the end result of cradle, baby and all washed up on some forlorn bank of the River Styx. The "dead" heroes are still there, but in the wrong part of the underworld, the "living" heroes are also there, but with more carryover? >>

If the 'dead' heroes are, should i say, 'medically dead', this could probably cause the separation of soul and body. I'm not sure about that or what this implies, other than escaping the greedy hands of one's psychopomp or terminal dissolution in the shorter or longer term, or worse. I think it's more difficult to escape hell without one's body.

Jerome