Ratuki, Hsunchen etc

From: t_m_ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 20:32:44 -0000

I meant to respond to this earlier, but lost the original...

> I'm a little puzzled here: if they are animists with shapechanging
> powers and don't (I presume) practice agriculture or the like, in what
> sense are they not hsunchen (which we know they aren't)?

In the same way that Yinkin cultists who learn Yinkin's secret aren't Hsunchen I imagine...

I think that the Hsunchen point of view is that there is no real difference between the "human" form and the "animal" form, the "Human" Husnchen (re)intigrate animal spirits to enable them to join their brothers in every way. Non hsunchen shape shifters don't nessecarily see that they are replacing "lost" parts of their spirit, but are taking on animal powers (possibly in a similar way to Odaylans?)

Hmm, are Zola Fel's talking fish just Animist fish who have integrated "Speach" spirits?