Re: Heads up!

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 01:23:29 +0800

At 4:37 PM -0400 24/5/02, bernuetz.oliver_at_... scribbled:
>I think the big distinction between Thanatari head taking and the proposed
>Orlanthi headtaking is intent and ability. It's "okay" to cut someone's
>head off and make a trophy of it because you don't intend to capture the
>soul.

        I figure that displaying the head is really a way of reminding people that 'yep, he's still dead'. Which, though it may be horrid and rather impolite, is exactly how the laws of the universe should work.

        As opposed to 'look, cut off and yet still alive and my mind slave', which is really not the sort of thing you want to bring to peoples attention.

>What's so awful about cutting someone's head off and keeping it as a trophy
>as long as the soul's not trapped? (Speaking from a sort of neutral
>standpoint - face it, killing people's bad).

        Killing people is serious business, and not pleasant, but lets face it - Heortlings know that some people just need killing.

>Having said that I don't think it's a common practise among the Heortling
>probably because of the fear of being associated with Thanatar and probably
>just a cultural distaste for the practise (how barbaric!).

        I think its not a common practice because its a big 'screw you' to the living descendants, and because its seen as barbaric and old-fashioned. Which means if you want to seem barbaric and old-fashioned and want to incite further violence, its just the sort of thing you might do. Say, if you were a group of traditionalist tribesman wanting to pick a fight with the civilised progressive Lunar-lovers. Exactly like, say, an Exiles unit.

        Note that, if you are a Thanatari, public display is the last thing you would want to do with your heads, while if you have taken them as a trophy its the whole point.

	Cheers
		David