RE: Re: Interpretations of Kinstrife and taboos agains t killing kin

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 13:34:58 -0400

> > I would hope that it's not always that cut and dry, do wrong-bang divine
> > retribution. There should be occassions when the retribution isn't that
> > immediate so there's some potential for ambiguity.  Myths are full of
> > examples of bad deeds eventually catching up to people and groups rather
> > than immediately harming them.  Perhaps this killing will set a
generations
> > long feud in motion with swords breaking at inopportune moments to show
> > Orlanth/Humakt's approval/disapproval.  There shouldn't always be an
> > immediate cause and effect response that's too cut and dry and mundane
IMO.
> > We're talking gods here, not Big Brother. They do act in mysterious ways.

> I agree in general, but the nature of the Storm Gods (to me) means that
>retribution should be swift, not prolonged. I could see the Solar gods
> cursing a family to lingering penalties or delaying punishment, but the
> Storm Tribe don't usually have the patience for that. As soon as Orlanth
> finds out, he should start making his wrath known. Since we're talking a
> Humakti here, "finding out" won't be Orlanth's problem.
>
> Of course, Divination is required to determine exactly why Big O is upset
-
> if the Humakti kills his outlaw brother, and there are clouds of impests
> within a week, a lot of people will assume "Orlanth is angry because of
the
> Kin-slaying". They might not even bother to do a divination to determine
> cause - "we know what it is". But what if there is *another* cause for
> Divine Wrath, that gets overlooked or ignored while people pursue the
> "kinslayer"?

> The Storm tribe just don't be the sort of gods that let problems fester -
> yes, they are a rough, tough, rootin', tootin' feudin' bunch, but they
are
> more likely to let you know immediately that they don't like your actions
> than to sit on them for weeks or years.

This seems reasonable but Orlanth's a pretty deep god surely one of his aspects is more calculating than impetutous. Yes, an immediate response is the norm but there must be the odd occassion when they're not so direct. Others among the tribe, e,g, Barntar, Humakt, Odayla Lhankor Mhy are probably more patient IMO.

> "Spare the rod and spoil the worshipper".

I like it.

Oliver