Re: Lunar nickname

From: theunspokenword <mark_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:18:51 -0000

Nicknames Imperials would use about their own boys (and girls) or names used by Orlanthi and other outsiders?

In the former case, I suspect there might not be one common name for the simple reason that the 'Imperial Army' is actually a composite of many very different types and cultures, from red-cloaked Lunar peltasts to gold-mailed Dara Happan Yelmic heroes, bull-helmed Carmanian hazars and tartan-kilted Aggari highlanders. I imagine New Pelorian would have some doublethinkish take, such as the same word being used for 'Imperial Soldier' and 'Defender'. Overall, though, I guess nicknames would be culturally more specific, as Darjiini deride Dara Happan 'dryfish' (all that scale mail, etc...) and all heartlanders look down on the 'Provos'.

In the latter case, then I imagine most Orlanthi don't have a copy of Jane's All the Lozenge's Imperials recognition manual and may not care about the rich cultural mosaic of Takenegi's Muster. DP is cold by the standards of many Imperial homelands, so I imagine many soldiers spend much more time wrapped in their (red, yellow, brown, whatever) cloaks than the locals, so maybe something like 'rednoses', 'cloaks' or the like.

Or, go more historical/mythic such as 'sheps' (from Shepelkirt). Maybe even the obvious 'loonies'!

All the best

Mark