Re: Tentacles & concerns

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:46:57 +0100

>but, just to make myself known as a total spoilsport, I can't neither
>see something particular funny nor tasteful in burning books, no
>matter how bad they may appear to be.
>this is especially true when this is done in Germany, and when the
>people that are involved esteem creativity.
>I did not know of this "tradition" and find it VERY questionable to say the
>least.
>do whatever you want to do with your unloved stuff, but don't *burn* it!
>this could cast a very bad light on our community.

This old chestnut again. Let me give the other side - burning individual copies of books, flags, etc. in protest is legitimate comment. The enforced burning of all copies of a given book (that can be obtained) is not. Whether in this case the comment is warranted (protesting at publishing priorities of a decade ago...) is perhaps a matter for debate, though not, I'd suggest, on this forum. Given that I suspect there are literally hundreds of people on this list alone who have no intentions of burning their copy, I suspect that these books are quite safe for future generations to read and dislike.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson