Re: a couple of dozen gods

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:09:02 -0700

Graham

>Okay then, lets hear your list of 24 gods (including all subcults and other
>complications) for the heortlings. I defy you to come up with a list that
>doesn't have at least one person here going 'but you left off XXX'.

In King of Dragon Pass, the glossary listed 20 worshipped deities. There were an additional 17 that appear primarily in myths, and another 12 enemy deities (though there's some overlap between the last two categories).

Looking over the list, I think it would be quite easy to make a list of 24 gods for players. Subcults are fun, but they really aren't necessary (we managed to play Hero Wars for several years without them, and RuneQuest for even more before that).

If anything, King of Dragon Pass may have had too many deities (though some of the ones you could interact with were only added during play). It's a hard thing to balance the complexity of Glorantha for people who don't know it at all (which we were trying to do with KoDP): you want enough rich detail that people think is cool, but no so much detail that you overwhelm or even bore people.

24 gods, with no complications, is more than enough for a fun game, and I think having more will just scare people off. Like Greg says, use the subcults to enrich your game -- but if you're giving a demo (or starting a new series) for someone who's not into Glorantha, I urge you to leave them out.

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html