Re: 24 gods

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:28:26 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham:
> Looking over the list, I think it would be quite
easy to make a list of 24 gods for players. Subcults are fun, but they really aren't necessary (we managed to play Hero Wars for several years without them, and RuneQuest for even more before that).

Its possible to play a Hero Wars game in Glorantha without complexity and with complexity - though generally its easier to leave material out once its been supplied. I am a big fan of seeing how Orlanth and Ernalda are able to provide for 80% of people, but whether you go beyond the complexity Adventurous, Allfather, and Thunderous, if you don't want to.

The trouble is too many people percieve that you need to play Glorantha according to the strict letter of everything that has ever been printed. You don't, you probably shouldn't. Play your Glorantha, have fun with the tools don't feel constranined by them.

I think this relates to some of the posts about Humakti here. The Humakti always generate a lot of debate over how they should behave: samurai, comitatus, odinic beserks, knife machines, psychopaths, etc. Rather than assume that there is ONE gloranthan way to be Humakti why not consider accepting all these possibilities and telling stories that revolve around the conflicts between those different interpretations. Glornathans are just as likley to disagree.

Part of the issue of the subcults is that they show how diverse the roles and behaviour that can be associated with the worship of a god are. Use that if you use nothing else from the description.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)0207-337-6217 (W)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com