Re: Tentacles & concerns

From: Nils Weinander <nils_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 00:00:56 +0200

Graham:

>I'm rather hesitant to get too involved in this debate, because (a) it
>has
>been thrashed out (with little result) before and (b) I'm not strongly
>in
>favour of the book burners myself... I suspect this will be my last
>post on this.

Indeed, I'll shut up after this as well.

Nick:

>That's not how I would see it at all. I'd just ask: is burning copies
>of "Daughters of Darkness" and "Eldarad" still *fun*?
>
>It seems self-evident to me that most people attending and organising
>Gloranthan conventions think it is, and this is why we still do it.

>I admire the principled stand taken by Nils W, Stefan D, David B and
>others, but will nevertheless continue to flick my lighter and hand
>out the flaming pages.

I think Nick makes an apt observation. The Con book burnings are not a protest act, but a "funny ritual". However, all spectators may not be aware of this. Burning books does send a message, one which I'm not comfortable with. In a time of wide-spread fanatism and intolerance I can only urge everyone who considers burning a book to consider the implications of the act. Think about where to draw the line between fun and danger, is it clear and sharp? And, if you haven't read Fahrenheit 451, read it.

Nils Weinander
We sail on a ship made of dreams.