Re: Trading & trade goods

From: con1453_at_...
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:17:25 EDT

Never forget the staple items of ancient trade --pottery, metal goods like pans, and so on.

Since an earlier discussion that talked of pots and pans having their own spirits -- the possibilities -- anti-spoilage, good flavoring, "teflon," etc. are endless. A merchant can, of course, claim that pans and pots have such spirits even if they don't, depending upon his level of honesty.

And lots of people don't have the technology/skills to create such goods -- I remember in an early "Griffin Mountin" adventure, one of my son's characters, (he was then 13 and the character was 16) bearing home from triumph from Elkoi a metal pan. My son
muttered, sotto voce, "sometimes I hate playing a primitive."

By the way, patent medicines were also a big trade item throughout history. Think Danny Kaye and Walter Slezak in "The Inspector-General."

Jim Chapin