Re: Greg's Comments

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:02:44 -0000

Sort of kind of, but I think you are focussing on them too much by proffession and not enough by religion. These are people who worship DEATH, DEATH, DEATH. They think about DEATH, they cause DEATH, they look forward to DEATH in due course, they make sacrifices to strengthen DEATH. Yes, there are death obsessed people in real life, and most of us avoid them whenever possible. These guys go beyond that because you know they can draw on the power of DEATH. If they are a devotee you can probably feel DEATH whenever they are close. Further, like most theists in Glorantha they are trying to carry out their gods will, and their god carries much more about DEATH than anything else (although fortunately his other concern is honour). It is even possible that DEATH will speak to them and tell them what to do. If I ever introduce new people to the game I'll first tell them that Humakt = death and only much later mention that his worshippers are often great warriors.

I don't think they are psychotic in the least, at least not most of them, and those that are may not have started out that way (if you know the importance of DEATH and are surrounded by people who think that LIFE is more important, wouldn't you get tempted at some point to show them which is stronger? Of course most would resist, but there will always be someone who doesn't.....) But their priorities are different from people who care about life. And of course, they are walking bits of DEATH.

Personally I think Humakt is a tragic figure. Either he took death because he realized that unless someone of impeccable honor and will did so, the world would be destroyed, and so doomed himself, or else in his pride he thought he could control death, and instead death controlled him.

Further, I'd say that Humakti don't take a gift and have to accept a geas, I think they give away part of their life by taking a geas, symbolizing that they are now closer to death than normal people, and it so happens that they get a gift to let them better be Humakt's servants. But in my mind the geas is the important part.

  In the new scheme of
> things, Humakti do more damage and don't have any "obey Orlanth"
> clause. (Am I missing something?) Even Uroxi are better, at least
> they only kill innocents when drunk...

Humakti do tend to have a strong sense of honour. If they accept hospitality they aren't apt to break it. If they agree to fight for you, they will fight for you. But when the agreement or contract is over, if for some reason they figure Humakt wants you.......this is why some may see Humakti as psychotic. They could calmly eat a meal with you one night, walk with you to the edge of the tula the next morning and say words of parting, then as soon as that is done take out their sword and kill you. It isn't likely, but it is fully within their code of honor, so it is possible, and without a doubt Heortling children are raised on exactly such tales :)

-Bryan