Re: Greg's Comments

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:29:43 +0100

bethexton wrote:

> I think you are focussing on them too much by
> proffession and not enough by religion. These are people who worship
> DEATH, DEATH, DEATH. They think about DEATH, they cause DEATH, they
> look forward to DEATH in due course, they make sacrifices to
> strengthen DEATH. Yes, there are death obsessed people in real life,
> and most of us avoid them whenever possible. These guys go beyond
> that because you know they can draw on the power of DEATH.

Humakti are obsessed with and worship DEATH in the same way that Orlanthi are obsessed with and worship WIND. That is, there are some obsessives, but the vast majority are more moderate and complex, and have suitable attitudes for fitting into and contributing to the society around them. There is no place for psychotic death monks in Heortling society; there is evidently a place for Humakti in Heortling society; therefore Humakti are generally not psychotic death monks.

  > their god carries [sic] much more about DEATH than   > anything else

To the same degree that Orlanth cares more about WIND than anything else, and Ernalda cares more about EARTH than anything else.

  > And of course, they are walking bits of DEATH.

To the same degree that Orlanthi are walking bits of WIND and Ernaldans are walking bits of EARTH.

I think we must resist trying to use our Runequest Sight to analyse Heortling gods and goddesses as merely a set of runes, and consider them instead as being part of Heortling society (The Storm Tribe mirrors Heortling society, or vice versa). The question should not be, 'how might worshippers of X behave in the light of their god having runes Y and Z?', but 'what function in society do worshippers of X fulfil?'. Worshippers of X can be unusual, or even down-right odd, members of society, but they must still be members of society.

Greg Stafford writes:

  > I meant that many Heortlings who are resurrected have
  > what they call the "death sickness." It's a residual emotional and
  > perceptive condition that causes people to join Humakt.

Hmm, am I right in thinking that, these days (in comparison to the RQ era), resurrection is exceedingly rare: only available as a cult secret for one local sub cult of a minor religion? How many Heortlings, outside a Lhankor Mhy temple or the Sisters of Mercy, will know about the Death Sickness?