Re: Re: Humakti again

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 17:45:38 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Nick Eden wrote:

<snip>
> >I don't see them banning it or calling it a sin. Sometimes a clean death
> >is the only "good" way out. The heortling men are so tempestous and
> >emotional I bet they occasionally kill themselves.
>
> But (perhaps being over influenced by dreams of Valhalla) I don't see
> plain suicide being much approved of. You won't get to Orlanth's high
> table that way.

This is what I got thinking too. Sometimes, a man or woman may be driven to take his/her own life (to escape a worse fate in the hands of chaos monsters, for instance), but a Heortling that wants to die has plenty of opportunity to court death on the battlefield.

I wonder about the very old or the incurably sick though. Chalana Arroy will not grant a mercy killing, but a humakti could provide the service. Parhaps an earnest prayer to Humakt would do the trick, for one whose life is too full of pain to bring joy anymore.

> >The deathsong berserk of the humakti is pretty much a ritual suicide
> >too.
>
> It's an offer of death. There are certainly Humakti out there who keep
> offering themselves to the God and the God doesn't want them.

I've wondered about this too. Greg commented that the Household of Death humakti die after invoking their strongest magic, and that is certainly a dramatic end for a character, but I suppose sometimes Humakt wants to see the worshipper fight again.

> I have
> this vision of an old grizzled Humakti who knows he's called by the
> God, but keeps winning his fights. As a result he takes increasingly
> insane risks and is always a bit disappointed when he comes out with
> only a scratch.

 =D Indeed. I've had one such character in my Glorantha game too.

> >In extreme times one may even offer ones life to be sacrificed to the
> >gods, for the good of the clan.
>
> Sacrifice != Suicide.

That's true, but a modern gamer may have trouble grasping the difference.

        -Adept