Re: Ernalda's fighting daughters

From: alexei mcdonald <alexei_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:52:15 +0000

Hi again!

Peter wrote:

>Alexei wrote:
>

>Yelorna isn't a daughter of Ernalda, Vinga's relationship with Ernalda
>isn't given (her relationship with Orlanth is far more crucial) and
>Babeester Gor is overshadowed as a popular warrior goddess by
>her Aunt, Maran Gor.

Yelorna must have changed when I wasn't looking, I suppose. In my archaic RQ2 sources, she's listed as a daughter of Yelm and Ernalda. Whose is she now?

Vinga is described in Storm Tribe as having "stood beside her mother when Ernalda spoke the Belittle Words." [p.168], which seems fairly good evidence to me.

>While there are Dark Heortling clans (c.f. the Torkani) with fighting
>women, they would be more likely to worship Maran's subcults
>than any daughter of Ernalda. I don't know of any Heortling clan
>worshipping Flamal and the RQ3 Ernalda cult write-up thinks
>that only the Elves and the Esrolians worship her. But then
>Flamal's element is earth so Babs (or Maran G.) should be good
>enough for them odd clans.

There's a clan in KoDP which particularly venerates Flamal, which is why he's down on my list of minority Heortling deities. Exactly why they venerate him, I couldn't say, though, especially since they don't seem to be very fond of elves.

At any rate, it might be that these clans don't need special cults for women per se, since they don't place restrictions on the sex of the worshippers of the Husband-Deity. I can also see that any bizarre Flamali warrior woman subcult would be so small to be almost invisible. An Argan Argar warrior daughter might fare better in number of worshippers and have more interesting magic, and looks like a more viable sort of goddess.

Alexei