re: Anybody else bored with Humakt? sjjh

From: morganconrad <morganconrad_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 18:10:26 -0000

Actually, the thread seems to be dying down.

One thing I find interesting about the "new view of Humakht vs. Orlanthi" is that it flips my older 20 year old views.

Back in the "old days" (hey sonny, when we walked through 2 feet of snow to school) Humakti PCs tended to be cautious, since they knew they couldn't be ressurrected. 90% of the rash Humakti I had encountered eventually ended up dead, with only Ray Turney's Alzira the Expendable hanging in there. Orlanthi PCs, who could be ressurrected and also had Guided Teleport, were the rash banzai charge we don't fear death types. Orlanthi had to challenge "foul slime" Chaos, go on dangerous quests for sweet green ladies, while Humakti didn't.

Rules have changed some, and perhaps we were doing too much powergaming  and not enough mythic role-playing, but I'd also argue that knowing that death is final, and growing more cautious as a result, is also perfectly reasonable role-playing.