Re: RE: Heroforming

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:54:15 -0400

"Lemens, Chris" wrote:

> >Remember, Heroforming is essentially a feat.
>
> I was actually thinking about the animist variety, called Incarnation IIRC.
> I'm not sure how much difference there is.
>
> >It lasts for 'a scene' and after that you are back to being your self.
>
> True also for the animist variety?

I would think so... unless you intergrated your ancestor. But that's a kettle of borsht I'd rather not open. In that case, I'd say you'd become the ancestor you'd incarnated and an NPC or somebody/something else.

That's what Incarnation does, afterall.

> >Similar to the Elrics?! Huh? Not sure I follow that.
>
> If Elric wanted to kill something, he could invoke Stormbringer, but them
> lost control over the subsequent course of events and end up killing a whole
> lot more than he meant to. How does the narrator get the godling to take
> charge in rules terms? Assume that Elric wants to re-sheath Stormbringer.

Hmmm. It wears off. And it depends on the Hero you've invoked. Big Man does what he does -- being mickle strong, kinda jolly and throws things about cheerfully but seldom hurts a human. Brekun defends ground with vicious effeciency.

Remember, the Hero is the one in charge -- to some extent the hero has abrogated his free will, depending on how deeply the identity has taken.

> That's not a very Stormbringerish thing to do, so does Stormbringer have the
> ability to take over Elric (yes in the book, now what about the rules)?

Hmmm? That's the Might of the Spirit (stormbringer) vs Elric's willpower. Sometimes Stormbringer gets complete control (wiping out scads of anything near) and sometimes only a little -- killing the nearest friend.

> Does any mythically significant deviation between what the player wants to
> do and what the god would do initiate an identity challenge? If so, and the

Yes. The Gods and Heroes are static. They can't do anything *new*. That is the advantage that dwellers in the Middle World have -- free will.

> player loses, does the godling take control? I did not see that in the

The godling dissapates. It takes a lotof work to maintain that Heroform or Incarnation and it pops like a soapbubble. There's no way for an Heroform to take over permanently in the HW rules. Such things would be exclusively at the discretion of the narrator. It is very difficult to permanently incarnate or heroform and require things like heroquests to do successfully -- like when Harmast brought back the Silver Age heroes to fight against the Bright Empire. Its more like going back into the God Time and GETTING the Hero. Of course, Fred Q Devotee is left behind in the Otherworld...

> possible results (but perhaps I missed it and I don't have the book here).
> Perhaps this only happens in the animist variety, causing a possession?

No, if the player loses, he no longer identifies with the Hero enough and the Heroform dissapates. See Morden defeating Big Man -- he forced an identity challenge on Big Man. In that case, Morden/Brekkun beat Big Man in a contest. Big Man always honours his contests. The man inside (who's name was forgten by himself in the aftermath) struggled against this, knowing that Morden had cheated somehow -- this is something Big Man would never have thought of. The dichotomy severed the link between the two and the man was left alone to face Brekkun by himself.

Hope this helps,

Jeff Kyer