Re: [stormsteads] Who gets to be on the ring...

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:48:59 +0100

> >The ring serves the Clan as a whole, and anyone (providing they can
>>round up sufficient support) can ask that a ring member stand down and
>>be replaced (Another situation that KoDP players will doubtless be all
>>to familiar with!).
>>--
>
> As a couple of people have pointed out, this may be too
>democratic. I think the Ring positions are filled by the Chief,
>probably with significant input from the Rings, but it's the Chief's
>choice. In the end, the clan probably has no real tool besides
>booting a Chief who makes unpopular appointments -- "replace X as
>Ernalda, or we'll replace you...."

It seems to me that there is a reasonably close parallel to Ministerial appointments in British politics. The next general election may be years off but a Minister who is too unpopular may still be sent back to the Back Benches.

There may not be much formal democracy but I have no doubt that Heortlings can and will make life quite unpleasant for a chief who makes too many unpopular decisions ("No one can make you do anything", "There is always another way" and even "Violence is always an option" suggest the sort of thinking).

There ought to be definite story possibilities in a chief trying to keep someone on the Ring despite protests from the clan.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.