Gors & Galt and the Teutoburg Forest

From: Dougie <dougiepunk_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:08:12 +0100

Hello Folks,

just spent a lazy morning re-watching C4's The Lost Legions of Varus (http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/S/sh01//legions1.html ) in preference to Trisha (eugh!!!). I assume that the clear similarities between this incident and the disappearance of that Lunar army into the Gors and Galt is no accident. After 20 years of occupation 3 Roman Legions get ambushed deep in the Teutoburg forest and wiped out by the local savages - their bones lying rotting and unburied for 7 years in the forest before being found and buried (before being lost for another 2000 years).

A quick google search throws up these sites promising

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Salon/2385/varus.html ,
http://www.bitsofhistory.com/articles/varus/varus2.html
http://www.standin.se/fifteen05a.htm

for those wanting to learn more.

Tacitus' description of Germania as (and I'm quoting from memory here) "horrible forests and stinking bogs) and the fact that destruction of the Legions was accompanied by terrible thunder storms, believed to be unlucky by the Romans are priceless nuggets....

The Germanic tribes where united, and the ambush laid by, Arminius , a young German auxilliarlly officer in the Roman army, educated in Rome. Soooo, I assume that a good Lunar education (in Furthest? Glamour?) is one of privileges offered to young boys of noble blood from amongst tho "enslaved" tribes of Sartar, but do these tribes also provide auxilliarlly troops? - and do they serve within Sartar (I assume that if they do, they are at least garrisoned in other Tribes territories. Also, a Lunar educated Argrath (at least one them) who has served with the Lunar Provincial Army seems too good too miss...

...just some musings...

:)

Dougie.