RE: The life of the Legionaire

From: Edward G McDonald <EGM_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:38:33 +0100

Those of you interested in the Life of a Legionaire could do worse than reading the following paper. It was written by a student at William and Mary in the US and, though an undergrad work, gives a good account of Roman military life. Additionally, the bibliography is quite good.

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/classical_studies/wehutt/150Wp/JCDEMA.HTML

What it shows me is that the Lunar army is indeed a good civilising influence on the local Sartarite population teaching good quality healthcare (in terms of the isolation of the sick from the healthy, surgical techniques, regular exercise, etc.), sanitation (the location of forts and camps, the establishment of bathhouses, etc.) and diet (the need for good quality ingredients, regular food supplies, etc.).

Thus I find it hard to understand why the Sartarites don't welcome our Lunar armies with open arms!

Cheers,

Edward G McDonald
Director
For and on behalf of Trinity Group Limited Tel: +44-(0)20-7491-7555
www.trinity-group.co.uk