RE: Re: Life of the legionaire

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 07:42:09 +0100

John writes:

> I'm quite comfortable with the assertion that the Roman Army
> was probably one of the *safest* places to be in the ancient
> world. Remember that life expectancy *at birth* for your average
> Roman citizen was between twenty and thirty years

Eheu, Hughes: non sequitur est. Unless Roman soldiers were enlisted at the moment of birth and painstakingly nursed through the first year of life, this figure is hardly going to be relevant.

> Roman soldiers had access to good, reliable food supplies, and
> to the best medical care in the ancient world.

And, of course, to a reliable supply of barbarians whacking them with sharp, pointy and/or blunt objects. Not to mention their fellow Roman soldiers doing the same, during not infrequent civil strife. At which point I would remind the hon. gentlemen that the Roman soldiers on the other side were also fit young supermen with preternatural health -- at least as much as their opponents.

> They were pre-selected for their occupation and were for the most
> part fit young men.

If none of them died and they enlisted for 20+ years, they probably *weren't* "for the most part" young. (Think about it).

> As with soldiers in every epoch, boredom, drudgery and homesick
> loneliness were often the real enemies. Not exactly the picture
> you get from sword and sandal epics

I thought Maximus' homesickness came through very well in 'Gladiator'.

For no particular reason, here's another (unrelated) song. Tune: "Men of Harlech".

What's the use of wearing braces,
Hats and spats and shoes with lace
All the things you buy in places
Down the Brompton Road?

What's the use of shirts of cotton
Studs that always get forgotten?
These affairs are simply rotten:
Better far is Woad!

Woad's the stuff to show men!
Woad to scare your foemen!
Boil it to a brilliant blue
And rub it on your back and your abdomen!

Ancient Britons never hit on
Anything as good as Woad to fit on
Neck or knees or where you sit on:
Tailors, you be blowed!

Romans came across the Channel
All decked out in tin and flannel
Half a pint of Woad per man'll
Clothe us more than these.

Saxons you may save your stitches
Building beds for bugs in britches
We have Woad to clothe us which is
Not a nest for fleas.

Romans, keep your armors!
Saxons, your pajamas!
Hairy coats were made for goats,
Gorillas, yaks, retriever dogs and llamas!

Tramp up Snowdon with your Woad on
Never mind if you get rained or snowed on Never need a button sewn on--
Go it, Ancient B's!